Many foreign citizens who decide to spend longer periods of time in Thailand need to apply for a Thailand long term visa. The procedure and the conditions for applying for a long term visa in Thailand can be answered by our Thai law firm in order to support our clients in their initiative to relocate to Thailand. The most frequent questions from our clients have been gathered and we have provided answers that we hope to be useful to everyone interested on the subject.
1. Can anyone apply for a long term visa in Thailand?
There are many categories of applicants which have the right according to the law to obtain a long term visa in this country. One such category is represented by students who intend to spend their formation time in Thailand. The long term visa is open as well to people over 50 years old, who have decided to retire in Thailand and who have enough financial means to sustain their retirement projects. Marriage as well as tourism can also stand as grounds for obtaining a long term visa in this country. Furthermore, if you are thinking about immigration to Thailand, get in touch with our agents. In addition to the required paperwork, applicants for the Business “B” visa need a letter of approval from the ministry of labor (copies of passports, pictures, application forms, etc.). Usually, the employer participates in this process by providing the required documentation and copies of company documents. A 90-day stay in Thailand is granted for the bearer of this visa. Then, starting from the date of the first admission, it may be extended for an additional year.
2. Are there more types of long term visa in Thailand?
If you want to obtain a Thailand long term visa, there are several options from which to choose, according to the purpose of your travel:
• Retirement visa – people aged over 50 who have sufficient retirement funds can go to Thailand with a 90 day non-migrant visa. The Thai Immigration Office can extend this visa into a one-year retirement visa. Certain financial requirements have to be met by the applicant in order to have the retirement visa extended: to deposit THB 800,000 in a Thai bank account and a THB 65,000 monthly pension;
• Marriage visa – if you are married to a Thai citizen you are eligible for a Thailand long term visa. These are the conditions to be met when applying for a marriage visa: you are legally married to a Thai citizen; you have deposited THB 400,000 in a Thai bank account and have proof of THB 40,000 monthly income. The marriage visa does not give you the right to legally work in Thailand. You need a valid Thai work permit which can be easily obtained with your marriage visa;
• Education visa – you apply for this type of visa when you want to study in Thailand, irrespective of the type of educational institution you enroll in. The necessary documents for obtaining an education visa in Thailand are made available by the education institutions, during the admission process. The length of this visa depends on the program you enroll;
• Business visa – this visa allows you to work for a Thai company or manage a business in Thailand. A legal work permit is obtained alongside this business visa. The documentation for visa application can be obtained from a Thai employer or through your Thai company documents if you set up a company in Thailand. Besides setting up a business, our experts can also assist you in acquiring a Thai residence permit. Our agents will give you an overview of the qualifications, criteria, and application process for permanent residence. This assistance will come together with our legal services to assure your application’s success as initial information and guidance.
Our Thai lawyers are here to guide you through the process of obtaining a Thai long-term visa.
The long-stay visa for Thailand is one of the most sought residence permits by foreigners.
3. What are the requirements for applying for a long term visa in Thailand?
One of the most important conditions for obtaining a long term visa is to have a valid passport for at least 6 months. Moreover there will be needed two passport photographs. As a student you will have to show your invitation letter from the University.
Obtaining a Thailand long term visa requires a few steps to be taken:
• Preparing the necessary documents and visa application;
• Submitting the documents at the Thai embassy or consulate in the applicant`s home country or by email;
• Paying the consular fees of the embassy by cash, credit card, or check;
• Processing the visa application – these takes between 5 to 10 working days to complete, depending with the institution where the application is registered.
4. What is the main authority which issues long term visas in Thailand?
The Royal Thai Embassy receives the applications for long term visas. The documentation can be prepared with the help of one of our attorneys in Thailand.
5. Is the long term visa affected by visiting another country?
Although the Thailand long term visa remains valid for the entire period, with any exit outside the borders of the Thai kingdom, at your return in Thailand, you need to provide a re-entry permit. This can be a one-entry permit or a multiple entry permit. Our Thai lawyers can give you more details on the advantages and prices for each type.
Please feel free tocontact our law firm in Thailand in order to discuss all questions you may have on the long term visa in this country.