Our website uses  cookies for statistical purposes.

  • 17th Floor, Two Pacific Place, 142 Sukhumvit, Klongtoey, Bangkok, 10110 Thailand
  • clients(at)thaicompanyformation.com
  • +6622545600
Our Articles

Moving to Thailand from USA

Moving to Thailand from USA

Thailand is a country that the Europeans have never colonized; with its rich history and culture, it is now one of the most popular tourist destinations. As a result, the expat community is increasing in this country. Mostly those people prefer Thailand who want to relocate to the Far East. But before relocating to Thailand from USA, you must apply for a visa which is a requirement by Thai immigration law. However, if you are moving to Thailand from USA as a tourist, you do not need to obtain a visa.

Get in touch without immigration lawyers in Thailand for relocation details. They will guide you regarding the time limit and situations where you must obtain a Thai visa as a US citizen. If you are aged 50 or more, and you want to immigrate to Thailand from the USA to enjoy the amazing landscapes and affordable living costs, you can trust the legal services of our lawyers. They will help you obtain a retirement visa.

Visa exemption for US citizens

If you want to immigrate to Thailand from USA with a tourist passport and an onward or return ticket, you do not need to obtain a visa. But this kind of entrance imposes some obligations that tourists must abide by. Your passport must hold a minimum of six months validity remaining to be allowed entry. If you enter Thailand by air or by using the land route, upon arrival, the Thai authorities will place an immigration stamp permitting thirty days to stay in the country. But this stay can be extended to another thirty days, but the Thai immigration Bureau office will impose a fee of 1,900 Baht.

If you want to relocate to Thailand from USA, our lawyers can help you apply for the visa you want.

Types of visas in Thailand

If you are moving to Thailand from USA, you can rely on the legal backing of our Thai attorneys. They will help you select the correct visa type according to your purpose of visit to Thailand. Please find below a general guide to the visas that Thai authorities are offering:

  • Tourist visa: if you want to immigrate to Thailand for more than thirty days, you must apply for a tourist visa. This extendible visa allows an initial stay of 60 days, and it can be extended for the next 30 days by paying a fee of 1,900 Baht;
  • Work visa: in Thailand, the work visa is valid for one year. So, if you want to relocate to Thailand from USA, you must obtain a Thai work visa and permit. Our immigration lawyers in Thailand can help you obtain a Thai work visa and a permit. So, you can get in touch with our experienced lawyers in this regard;
  • Retirement visa: this type is visa is valid for one year. Any employment is strictly prohibited for retirement visa holders, and they must follow the rules of the Thai government made for applicants who want to acquire this visa.

You can get details about the requirements for a Thai retirement visa from our attorneys in Thailand. They will provide you with all the relevant information regarding moving to Thailand from US.

What are the consequences of visa overstaying in Thailand?

If you immigrate to Thailand from USA and overstay there, you will be considered an illegal resident. So, you will be obliged to pay an overstay fine to the Immigration Bureau. In addition, if you get arrested while living illegally in this country, you may be held in the Immigration Detention Center until you pay your fine and a ticket out of the country. Please find below the fine you will be required to pay for overstaying in Thailand:

  • Per day fine for overstaying in Thailand is 500 Baht;
  • The maximum amount of fine is 20,000 Baht;
  • If you overstay your visa for more than 200 days, you may be required to serve time in the Immigration Detention Center before getting deported from the country.

Contactthe knowledgeable lawyers at our law firm if you want to know whether you can extend your short-term expired visa after paying a fine. Our lawyers will provide you with comprehensive guidance in this regard. In addition, if you want to immigrate to Thailand from the USA and want to initiate a business in this country, you can rely on the legal assistance of our lawyers. They will help you to carry out business regulations in Thailand.